[Talk-GB] UK street addressing

Dave F davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com
Sun Dec 27 22:03:18 UTC 2020

On 21/12/2020 09:27, Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) wrote:
> Like it or not, in the UK addresses are defined by Royal Mail.

Only the postcode. The 'postal town' concept is for the benefit of just
*one* company (which appears to be in it's death throes). There are
multiple UK delivery companies for which it's an irrelevance. We're not
mapping for the benefit of RM. As SK53 noted, there's no point in
creating a duplication of PAF.

> On the basis that it's a required part of each address,
It's not.

> I would
> recommend that we do store the post town in OSM addresses. There are
> significant advantages to storing it in a consistent way, and the best
> existing tag to do this would be addr:city.

But the city in which the property exists (which is what addr:city
signifies) isn't necessarily where RM's sorting/distribution centre is
located.

> (We wouldn't want to
> invent a new tag (e.g. addr:posttown), since as a UK-only term that
> will simply be ignored by most international data consumers.
if (& it's a big if) postal towns are required in addresses, that's a
ridiculous reason for not have a designated tag.

> I would
> suggest using appropriate values from the set {addr:hamlet,
> addr:village, addr:town, addr:suburb}.

When the problem is using existing tags, I really don't see how
suggesting using existing tags is the solution.

> Otherwise,software that's unaware of the second key name will think it's house
> number n on the main street not the sub-street.

I wish you'd stop making suggestions based of what data consumers
*might* not be able to comprehend. If we did that rigidly, we'd never
map anything!

>   I'd recommend using
> that for the main street, and addr:street for the terrace
addr:terrace. is much clearer for a terrace name than 'street' surely?
Primarily because a name for a row of buildings isn't a road.

DaveF