[Talk-GB] UK street addressing

ndrw ndrw6 at redhazel.co.uk
Mon Dec 28 16:06:01 UTC 2020

We may still discuss what tags to use for specific scenarios the overall
scheme is fairly clear:
- addr: tags are reserved for postal addresses. This is an OSM-wide
convention for all countries with a functioning postal systems. In the
UK postal addresses are set by Royal Mail - we may not like their
conventions, licensing or even the fact itself, but we should map
reality as it is and not create our own.
- addr:city is the name of the post town associated with the postcode.
Again, this is an OSM-wide convention and we shouldn't be changing just
because we don't like RM choices. If addressing is good enough for
utility bills it is good enough for us.

I quite like the addr:terrace tag - solves the problem nicely. In some
cases like business parks they may be overly specific, though, so the
choice is between inventing additional addr: tags where needed or
settling on something more generic like addr:substreet.

-ndrw