[Talk-GB] Google maps added addresses!

Mark Goodge mark at good-stuff.co.uk
Mon Dec 28 16:55:21 UTC 2020

On 28/12/2020 16:34, Jez Nicholson wrote:
> Interesting....
>
> My first guess is that house numbers are machine read from StreetView
> images.

Aided and abetted by the CAPTCHA test that asks you to type in the
number you see on a sign, no doubt.

If so, it's quite a clever way of getting around the cost of licensing
the data from Royal Mail. But...

> The positioning of the numbers is slightly irratic. Some are on the
> centre of houses, some near the front, some are outside. Maybe
> indicating multiple sources.... Some houses have numbers twice.
...this illustrates the downside of trying to do it algorithmically from
images. Because not every house will have a number sign that's visible
to the street view car.

Incidentally, I note that they've been down my street fairly recently -
October this year, in fact. So they've managed to catch my house at a
time when we had a pile of junk in the front yard, as part of a lockdown
clearout and DIY mania, that was still waiting to be put into a skip.
Given that the previous street view image dated from before we bought
the house, that means I'm probably now stuck with that impression of my
house for at least a decade! Also, my car is filthy (the consequences of
parking it under a tree). They really could have warned us when they
were coming round :-)

Mark