[Talk-GB] Google maps added addresses!

Rob Nickerson rob.j.nickerson at gmail.com
Mon Dec 28 18:44:19 UTC 2020

On Mon, 28 Dec 2020 at 17:53, Peter Neale <nealepb at yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

> TL;DR  It's a mess!

Yes, I think we all agreed on that. However... if you click on one you can
"suggest an edit". It will be really interesting to see what happens over
the coming months. Will Google end up with more active contributors than
OSM? I can certainly see a lot of people editing little bits here and there.

It's for that reason why I think it would be interesting to look at our
approach in OSM. I note that Frederik shared some thoughts on the AI
buildings. Some of this can be fixed (e.g. I can see the land registry open
data polygons being used to help split a terrace building into its relevant
parts). Other parts are harder but worthy of more discussion - let's be
honest here; we have less than 10% of addresses mapped despite this being a
really useful piece of data for many users.

My view here is that with building outlines it becomes easier to get people
to contribute to OSM in little ways, adding their housenumber and that of a
few neighbouring buildings. With a simple editing tool and some good
outreach to the media, we could get a good chunk of addresses mapped and
introduce loads of people to OSM.

Is it worth OSM UK putting an "Open Letter" out to see what ideas we can
get from both the wider community and those big companies? We can always
say "no" if we are not confident of the process, but if we don't ask, we
may never know what the full options are.

Best regards,
*Rob*