[Talk-GB] Google maps added addresses!

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Tue Dec 29 17:16:06 UTC 2020

Whilst I share this
<https://demo.f4map.com/#lat=52.9744324&lon=-1.1972836&zoom=18> particular
frustration I don't think any of the 3 popular approaches (standalone,
entrance, building) is perfect, each has downsides for specific uses.
Standalone suffers because it may not be easy to correctly attach an
address to other elements which use that address. The OSM data model also
militates treating addresses as first-class objects (but in the real-world
most systems & applications don't either).

As discussion earlier on terraced houses has raised, there may be
advantages to retaining the shell of the entire terrace as a separate
building despite validators strong objections to buildings within
buildings. There are clearly properties which belong to the terrace (roof
shape, name, listed building status
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/836645301> & so forth) which cannot be
readily split across all the houses in the terrace and properties which are
distinct to each house (roof:material, fake stone cladding, uprn & so on).

For some years I've been muttering about how to discover 'emergent'
properties of things automatically from what actually gets mapped on OSM
(examples urban area
<http://sk53-osm.blogspot.com/2015/10/urban-areas-meditation-on-why-simple.html>s,
river & glacier flowlines
<http://sk53-osm.blogspot.com/2016/10/skeletons-in-water.html>, river
basins and their watersheds, avenues of trees where trees are mapped
individually, etc). Terraces & semi-detached houses would appear to be
relatively trivial examples, but the discussion so far suggests that it may
be hard to computationally derive all features of the terrace.

Jerry