[Talk-GB] Front paths

Robert Hanwell robert at mailsent.co.uk
Tue Dec 29 19:30:13 UTC 2020


Sorry my miss understanding. Depending on size you could make it as an area with garden. And draw a footpath. Then tag as private? You can then put a node on for the entrance or gate etc.



⁣Get BlueMail for Android ​

On 29 Dec 2020, 20:26, at 20:26, talk-gb-request at openstreetmap.org wrote:
>Send Talk-GB mailing list submissions to
>	talk-gb at openstreetmap.org
>
>To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>	https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-gb
>or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>	talk-gb-request at openstreetmap.org
>
>You can reach the person managing the list at
>	talk-gb-owner at openstreetmap.org
>
>When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
>than "Re: Contents of Talk-GB digest..."
>
>
>Today's Topics:
>
>   1. Re: Front paths (Jon Pennycook)
>   2. Re: Front paths (Andrew Black)
>   3. Re: Front paths (Jez Nicholson)
>
>
>----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
>Message: 1
>Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2020 18:08:50 +0000
>From: Jon Pennycook <jon.pennycook at gmail.com>
>To: talk-gb at openstreetmap.org
>Subject: Re: [Talk-GB] Front paths
>Message-ID:
>	<CAO56uokY-+fi0m8JBW6ARj0HHgYXY-69oNCF_xVc5tVsgDOPdg at mail.gmail.com>
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
>"sidewalk" would be what people call pavements, ie footways alongside a
>road maintained by the same people (council, developer, or management
>company) as the road. If it's like the path leading from my front door
>to
>my driveway, I wouldn't call it a sidewalk.
>
>I think I would tag my path as highway=footway, surface=asphalt,
>access=private (or maybe access=delivery if I was being generous).
>
>Jon
>
>On Tue, 29 Dec 2020, 17:59 Robert Hanwell via Talk-GB, <
>talk-gb at openstreetmap.org> wrote:
>
>> Click on the road select sidewalk? You can set a size to that in
>meters.
>>
>> Get BlueMail for Android <http://www.bluemail.me/r?b=16117>
>> On 29 Dec 2020, at 17:20, talk-gb-request at openstreetmap.org wrote:
>>>
>>> Send Talk-GB mailing list submissions to
>>>  talk-gb at openstreetmap.org
>>>
>>> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
>>>  https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-gb
>>> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
>>>  talk-gb-request at openstreetmap.org
>>>
>>> You can reach the person managing the list at
>>>  talk-gb-owner at openstreetmap.org
>>>
>>> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
>>> than "Re: Contents of Talk-GB digest..."
>>>
>>>
>>> Today's Topics:
>>>
>>>    1. Front paths (Jez Nicholson)
>>>    2. Re: Front paths (Philip Barnes)
>>>    3. Re: Front paths (Colin Smale)
>>>    4. Re: Front paths (Peter Neale)
>>>    5. Re: Front paths (Peter Neale)
>>>    6. Re: Front paths (Mateusz Konieczny)
>>>
>>>
>>> ------------------------------
>>>
>>>
>>> Message: 1
>>> Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2020 15:52:25 +0000
>>> From: Jez Nicholson <jez.nicholson at gmail.com>
>>> To: Talk-GB <Talk-GB at openstreetmap.org>
>>> Subject: [Talk-GB] Front paths
>>> Message-ID:
>>> 
><CALBgsiisWEePXWnWsR=-GEd9ZcB=yuGvpLZcmO-5GQwsNaU0ZA at mail.gmail.com>
>>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>>>
>>> I've been getting a bit carried away with micromapping houses in my
>>> vicinity, plotting garden walls, sheds, front walls, gates, front
>doors,
>>> and front paths.
>>>
>>> Question: what would you tag a front path as? highway=footpath?
>>> -------------- next part --------------
>>> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>>> URL:
><http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-gb/attachments/20201229/0304cabe/attachment-0001.htm>
>>>
>>> ------------------------------
>>>
>>>
>>> Message: 2
>>> Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2020 15:58:35 +0000
>>> From: Philip Barnes <phil at trigpoint.me.uk>
>>> To: talk-gb at openstreetmap.org
>>> Subject: Re: [Talk-GB] Front paths
>>> Message-ID:
>>>  <c280154eef55a79c69429acdbbe8393969aaf900.camel at trigpoint.me.uk>
>>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="UTF-8"
>>>
>>> On Tue, 2020-12-29 at 15:52 +0000, Jez Nicholson wrote:
>>>
>>>>  I've been getting a bit carried away with micromapping houses in
>my
>>>>  vicinity, plotting garden walls, sheds, front walls, gates, front
>>>>  doors, and front paths.
>>>>
>>>>  Question: what would you tag a front path as? highway=footpath
>>>>
>>>
>>> Hi Jez
>>> Footway surely?
>>>
>>> Phil (trigpoint)
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> ------------------------------
>>>
>>>
>>> Message: 3
>>> Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2020 17:06:44 +0100
>>> From: Colin Smale <colin.smale at xs4all.nl>
>>> To: talk-gb at openstreetmap.org
>>> Subject: Re: [Talk-GB] Front paths
>>> Message-ID: <d9a01f2f8b3a164184225e35e52b3dfa at xs4all.nl>
>>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>>>
>>> On 2020-12-29 16:52, Jez Nicholson wrote:
>>>
>>>  I've been getting a bit carried away with micromapping houses in my
>vicinity, plotting garden walls, sheds, front walls, gates, front
>doors, and front paths.
>>>>
>>>>  Question: what would you tag a front path as? highway=footpath?
>>>>
>>>
>>> Duck test it. Most of them look like, and work like, footpaths to
>me.
>>>
>>> Access tagging is more problematic however, as the recent discussion
>>> about service=driveway has shown. Although it is private property,
>it is
>>> considered accessible to those with a legitimate interest, e.g.
>>> deliveries, emergency services, "I have broken down, can I use your
>>> phone"... By "accessible" I mean that you can't actually sue them
>for
>>> walking down your front path to your door and ringing the bell.
>>> -------------- next part --------------
>>> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>>> URL:
><http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-gb/attachments/20201229/56c4b0b5/attachment-0001.htm>
>>>
>>> ------------------------------
>>>
>>>
>>> Message: 4
>>> Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2020 16:07:50 +0000 (UTC)
>>> From: Peter Neale <nealepb at yahoo.co.uk>
>>> To: Talk-GB <talk-gb at openstreetmap.org>,  Jez Nicholson
>>>  <jez.nicholson at gmail.com>
>>> Subject: Re: [Talk-GB] Front paths
>>> Message-ID: <691598238.8251021.1609258070539 at mail.yahoo.com>
>>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>>>
>>> I assume
>>> "highway=footway"  (Note "footway", not
>"footpath")https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:highway%3Dfootway
>>>
>>> "access=destination"https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access
>>>
>>> ...or is it not that easy?
>>> Regards,Peter
>>>     On Tuesday, 29 December 2020, 15:57:07 GMT, Jez Nicholson
><jez.nicholson at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>>  I've been getting a bit carried away with micromapping houses in my
>vicinity, plotting garden walls, sheds, front walls, gates, front
>doors, and front paths.
>>> Question: what would you tag a front path as? highway=footpath?
>>> ------------------------------
>>>
>>> Talk-GB mailing list
>>> Talk-GB at openstreetmap.org
>>> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-gb
>>>
>>> -------------- next part --------------
>>> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>>> URL:
><http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-gb/attachments/20201229/22347af5/attachment-0001.htm>
>>>
>>> ------------------------------
>>>
>>>
>>> Message: 5
>>> Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2020 16:14:05 +0000 (UTC)
>>> From: Peter Neale <nealepb at yahoo.co.uk>
>>> To: "talk-gb at openstreetmap.org" <talk-gb at openstreetmap.org>,  Philip
>>>  Barnes <phil at trigpoint.me.uk>
>>> Subject: Re: [Talk-GB] Front paths
>>> Message-ID: <488873244.5830428.1609258445739 at mail.yahoo.com>
>>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>>>
>>> Usage, according to TagInfo:
>>> "highway=footway"  13,381,974"highway=footpath"              160
>>> I think "highway-footway" wins!
>>>
>>> Regards,Peter
>>>
>>>     On Tuesday, 29 December 2020, 16:01:35 GMT, Philip Barnes
><phil at trigpoint.me.uk> wrote:
>>>
>>>  On Tue, 2020-12-29 at 15:52 +0000, Jez Nicholson wrote:
>>>
>>>>  I've been getting a bit carried away with micromapping houses in
>my
>>>>  vicinity, plotting garden walls, sheds, front walls, gates, front
>>>>  doors, and front paths.
>>>>
>>>>  Question: what would you tag a front path as? highway=footpath
>>>>
>>>
>>> Hi Jez
>>> Footway surely?
>>>
>>> Phil (trigpoint)
>>>
>>>
>>> ------------------------------
>>>
>>> Talk-GB mailing list
>>> Talk-GB at openstreetmap.org
>>> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-gb
>>>
>>> -------------- next part --------------
>>> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>>> URL:
><http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-gb/attachments/20201229/7c4e4307/attachment-0001.htm>
>>>
>>> ------------------------------
>>>
>>>
>>> Message: 6
>>> Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2020 17:15:28 +0100 (CET)
>>> From: Mateusz Konieczny <matkoniecz at tutanota.com>
>>> Cc: Talk-GB <Talk-GB at openstreetmap.org>
>>> Subject: Re: [Talk-GB] Front paths
>>> Message-ID: <MPjH5iX--3-2 at tutanota.com>
>>> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>>>
>>> No, highway=footway
>>>
>>> Typically with access=private
>>> (certainly for part within fenced/walled private residential areas).
>>>
>>> Dec 29, 2020, 16:52 by jez.nicholson at gmail.com:
>>>
>>>  I've been getting a bit carried away with micromapping houses in my
>vicinity, plotting garden walls, sheds, front walls, gates, front
>doors, and front paths.
>>>>
>>>>  Question: what would you tag a front path as? highway=footpath?
>>>
>>>
>>>
>>> -------------- next part --------------
>>> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>>> URL:
><http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-gb/attachments/20201229/350beb4e/attachment.htm>
>>>
>>> ------------------------------
>>>
>>>
>>> Subject: Digest Footer
>>>
>>> ------------------------------
>>>
>>> Talk-GB mailing list
>>> Talk-GB at openstreetmap.org
>>> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-gb
>>>
>>>
>>> ------------------------------
>>>
>>>
>>> End of Talk-GB Digest, Vol 171, Issue 92
>>> ****************************************
>>>
>>> _______________________________________________
>> Talk-GB mailing list
>> Talk-GB at openstreetmap.org
>> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-gb
>>
>-------------- next part --------------
>An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>URL:
><http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-gb/attachments/20201229/f41aaba8/attachment-0001.htm>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 2
>Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2020 19:07:46 +0000
>From: Andrew Black <andrew at black1.org.uk>
>To: talk-gb at openstreetmap.org
>Subject: Re: [Talk-GB] Front paths
>Message-ID: <6598bcd1-6e09-3218-7454-9cfaebb56d19 at black1.org.uk>
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset=utf-8; format=flowed
>
>
>On 29/12/2020 18:08, Jon Pennycook wrote:
>> "sidewalk" would be what people call pavements, ie footways alongside
>
>> a road maintained by the same people (council, developer, or 
>> management company) as the road. If it's like the path leading from
>my 
>> front door to my driveway, I wouldn't call it a sidewalk.
>>
>British driver: Where can I park
>
>US Policeman : on the pavement
>
>British driver parks on the pavement and gets fined for parking on the 
>sidewalk.
>
>
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Message: 3
>Date: Tue, 29 Dec 2020 19:22:01 +0000
>From: Jez Nicholson <jez.nicholson at gmail.com>
>To: David Woolley <forums at david-woolley.me.uk>
>Cc: Talk-GB <Talk-GB at openstreetmap.org>
>Subject: Re: [Talk-GB] Front paths
>Message-ID:
>	<CALBgsigpx1XySE26ZX9cQFJz9HgZPw2GJ0zg_aMzyjGRLMj9Wg at mail.gmail.com>
>Content-Type: text/plain; charset="utf-8"
>
>Yeah, most of the houses round here have on-street parking. The
>properties
>are early 1900s and they walled all the plots so reasonable easy to
>find
>the boundaries. Am now vaguely fascinated when a garden includes some
>of
>next doors for no discernible reason.
>
>...and, oops, meant highway=footway *blush*
>
>The whole access= is indeed interesting.
>
>On Tue, 29 Dec 2020, 17:41 David Woolley, <forums at david-woolley.me.uk>
>wrote:
>
>> On 29/12/2020 16:15, Mateusz Konieczny via Talk-GB wrote:
>> > No, highway=footway
>> >
>> > Typically with access=private
>>
>> I agree with access=private.
>>
>> > (certainly for part within fenced/walled private residential
>areas).
>>
>> (However, where I live, in most cases, a more accurate designation is
>> amenity=parking; access=private, and front gates are an endangered
>> species, and, whilst the majority of walls survive quite a few
>> curtilages have no physical barrier at their front, at all.)
>>
>>
>>
>> _______________________________________________
>> Talk-GB mailing list
>> Talk-GB at openstreetmap.org
>> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-gb
>>
>-------------- next part --------------
>An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
>URL:
><http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-gb/attachments/20201229/91423aa1/attachment.htm>
>
>------------------------------
>
>Subject: Digest Footer
>
>_______________________________________________
>Talk-GB mailing list
>Talk-GB at openstreetmap.org
>https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/talk-gb
>
>
>------------------------------
>
>End of Talk-GB Digest, Vol 171, Issue 94
>****************************************
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-gb/attachments/20201229/b77c1d89/attachment-0001.htm>


More information about the Talk-GB mailing list