[Talk-GB] Can we tag the Imber roads better with access:conditional?

Chris Hodges chris at c-hodges.co.uk
Tue Dec 29 20:26:21 UTC 2020

Imber is a former village on Salisbury Plain now held by the MOD.
Access is granted freely a few days a year, otherwise there might be
live firing in the area.

It's currently tagged as access:private
https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/198745115#map=15/51.2249/-2.1334&layers=C

Today was one of those days and I went there (floods, black ice and 2
punctures on the bike meant a disappointing need to reduce the surveying
on my ride BTW). I wasn't too bothered by not being able to route there
(on Komoot, based on OSM data), but it doesn't feel right to imply it's
always closed, especially as similarly tagged roads in the area are
always closed and there's no way to tell them apart.

Typical opening is a few days around New Year, Remembrance Sunday
(there's a service in the village church) and often Easter, but not
something easy to express in numbers.  There's room for a comment in
access:conditional, but is that exposed to users (for sake of argument,
someone going to openstreetmap.com)?

Chris