[Talk-GB] OSMUK walkers map - GitHub repo and demo now available

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 30 15:58:48 UTC 2020

On 30/12/2020 10:13, Nick Whitelegg via Talk-GB wrote:

> At some point, at Adam's suggestion, I will probably setup a poll on
> Loomio to gather ideas for features.

Hi Nick,

Thanks for this, but I suspect that a bit more information will be
needed by anyone who might be thinking about helping with this.
Currently the "What's needed" section of the readme is a bit "Monty
Python: how to play the flute" (
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-1sM29zGxeo ).  As just one example, I'd
expect that the osm2pgsql database needs to be imported with a
particular style file to decide which columns are created.  Maybe that's
the default osm2pgsql one, maybe it's a different one such as
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/blob/master/openstreetmap-carto.style
, or maybe it's a cut-down one to minimise database size - but without
that information, no-one is going to be able to reproduce what you
currently have at http://35.177.54.109/ or https://www.free-map.org.uk/
and investigate why things are as they are there - for example why are
some things shown and not other, why does the screen only take up a
quarter of the browser window, why is it so slow (is that a server or a
client side issue)?

I appreciate that this is only designed to be a proof of concept - but
surely the purpose is that people will see it and say "that isn't
exactly what I was looking for but I can change it to do X, and Y, and
Z"?  I don't think that that's really possible right now.

Best Regards,

Andy