[Talk-GB] Still too many universities in Cambridge

Peter Neale nealepb at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Feb 5 12:03:47 UTC 2020

 >On Tuesday, 4 February 2020, 16:40:21 GMT, Andy Townsend <ajt1047 at gmail.com> wrote:      >   >On 04/02/2020 15:37, Peter Neale via Talk-GB wrote:

    >>There isn't, I'm afraid.. it's a right hotchpotch

   >>IMHO, it would be a waste of time, if you tried to create a single area object (do I mean "closed way"?) to be the >>university.  That would just be most of the city centre.
   >>The University is a collection of colleges, so could be a relation...   ...except that each college is probably in >several buildings and they may not be in a contiguous area, so each college might have to be a relation of >buildings.  So you would have a hierarchy of relations.

   >... or, if the general feeling is to go ahead with this change, just add a node in the vicinity of the Senate House / St Mary's  >Church for it.  It'd be no less wrong.
>By the way, there is at least one "sensibly mapped" university in Cambridge:

>https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/3987047

>Best Regards,

>Andy
 Yes, that indeed is fine, but then it is a single campus, which even a tourist could identify.
The problem with THE Cambridge University  (as with Oxford,also) is that the colleges are all over the town and there is no campus.  Blame the founders in of the colleges in the thirteenth and fourteenth Centuries, who clearly gave no thought to the poor mappers in OSM.