[Talk-GB] "British Islands" (was "OSMUK-in-a-box")

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Fri Feb 7 11:32:30 UTC 2020

On 07/02/2020 10:55, Jez Nicholson wrote:
> Personally, I interpret the coverage of Talk-GB and OSMUK to be the
> same, i.e. Northern Ireland is officially under OSMUK, but for
> practical reasons mappers may want to interact with OSMIE....and the
> same for Talk-GB + Talk-IE.

I think that part of the reason historically was that older
out-of-copyright maps (and things like townlands) were common across the
island of Ireland.

Even if it was "overclaiming" I don't think that there would be a
particular problem with talk-gb also being included on the list for NI
at https://openstreetmap.community/ - the worst that could happen would
be that someone would get an answer to their question (which might also
include a mention of various IE resources).  I recently expanded the
"East Midlands" coverage north a bit to reflect occasional meet-ups in
Sheffield and the fact that we've had people attending from further
north again.

> This could make the situation of gb geojson simpler. Do you know where
> they've defined gb? I can't see it.

It uses the iD editor's country coder.  The documentation for that is at

https://github.com/ideditor/country-coder#readme

There's a list in there of what it does and what it doesn't do.

Best Regards,

Andy