[Talk-GB] Tagging showgrounds

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Mon Feb 24 23:05:13 UTC 2020

It was I who raised the issue.

Interest to see others thoughts, and some ideas on some sort of
consistence, if that can be obtained?

 From an Australian perspective of 'our' showgrounds' in the countryside.

Most of the year they are vacant. They do get some use from equestrian
activities.. some have sports activities. A fair few provide camping
facilities.
The 'shows' typically have 'sports' such as wood chopping and equestrian
activities. They also have the 'side show ally' things of rides.

I think the above fit into recreational use, and so most of the use is
as a recreation ground, access and fees can be indicated using those
tags I see no reason to stipulate that a recreation ground must be
'public'.

I was trying to find any other way for tagging showgrounds using
taginfo, and came across the amenity=showground with some ~6 uses. I
then selected on of these in the UK where they are most prevalent. This
one is tagged as 'amenity=showground' with 'landuse=grass', that mix to
me is wrong. If it is 'amenity=showground' then the grass should,
strictly speaking, be tagged with surface=grass, however this will not
render. Using 'landuse=grass' obtains rendering.

A difficulty with OSM is mapping permanent things is the norm, cyclic
things get less attention.