[Talk-GB] Landuse between fences?

Martin Wynne martin at templot.com
Wed Jan 1 07:13:00 UTC 2020

On 01/01/2020 05:11, Warin wrote:

I would map the area around the road as
> landuse=highway.
>
> I would do the same for the lane/track between farm fields, while it
> supports the use of the farm it is not a field.

Thanks, but the problem is that landuse=highway is not a valid tag.
Voting on it was suspended in 2013 after several votes against, see:

  https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/landuse%3Dhighway

However, I have discovered that highway=track, *area=yes* is valid - as
evidence of that it is rendered on the standard map as a light brown
infill between the fences with the existing highway=track as a routable
way superimposed over it, in darker brown.

It seems odd to have highway=track twice, but if that's what it takes to
have a meaningful mapping for an area of land, I'm happy to do it that
way. Presumably the developers of the standard map know what they are doing.

So I seem to have answered my own question, thanks all for the replies.

cheers,

Martin.