[Talk-GB] Map with AI comes to the UK

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 15:21:08 UTC 2020

I'm using QGiS 3.4 on a laptop with 8 Gb, but I'm sure much less will work
fine. Will send data separately.

I'm not sure Facebook have corrected for offsets in imagery so whereas the
topology may be better positioning may be worse. One of the simple quick
wins from using ML on imagery could be better alignment of multiple imagery
layers (provided one can extract the same types of features from them &
ones which are algorithmically easy to align - there's a huge literature on
this, colleagues were working on
<https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/0262885689900012>
matching stereo SPOT images in the '80s).

Using OS Open Roads (which looks to be slightly generalised so some slight
curves are straight lines) and the buffer clipping technique (e.g. as I
used for Northern Ireland townlands) is probably the best way to realign
NPE roads. I currently don't have the disk space to do this easily,
otherwise I would have done).

Jerry