[Talk-GB] Map with AI comes to the UK

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Sun Jan 5 21:44:11 UTC 2020

On 05/01/2020 21:33, Philip Barnes wrote:
> I have just come across an armchair edit using Facebook AI data.
>
> They do seem to have failed to check that detections are accurate, or
> lack experience to identify common Midlands farmland features. They
> have mapped several hedges as tracks.

The usual suggestions apply, I think - politely explain via a changeset
discussion comment what the problems are (e.g. that there are false
positives and false negatives, and issues with offsets).  If that
resolves things, great - if not raise it with the DWG.

I'm not convinced that false positives per se are a problem provided
that iD guides them through the process of agreeing that "yes, that
really does look like a sensible feature based on the context".  If that
isn't happening (and that's certainly a problem to some extent elsewhere
in iD with "automatic brand tagging", and with some Maproulette tasks
that appear to be just "community-washing" mechanical edits) then again,
raise it with the DWG.

Best Regards,

Andy