[Talk-GB] UPRN Locations Map

Mark Goodge mark at good-stuff.co.uk
Thu Jul 2 19:25:02 UTC 2020

On 02/07/2020 18:38, Peter Neale via Talk-GB wrote:
> Hi Robert,
>
> Many thanks for producing that map.
>
> I was able to look at my street and see a blue pin in each of the
> building outlines that I had mapped from aerial imagery, so that gave me
> a warm, smug feeling :)
>
> I too noticed some not-yet-there properties in a nearby development that
> had UPRNs assigned - Not a problem really (IMHO).  There is also one
> allocated to a pond near me; I didn't know that was "addressable"!

They're not addressable in the sense that they have a postal address.
But they still need to have some form of identification that can be used
for things like planning applications, business rates, etc.

> However, I am still not clear how best to use the data available, if you
> can't use it to look up the address of the property.  Similarly, I am
> not sure how a data consumer could use the data, if we laboriously
> edited every property in OSM to include a "ref:GB:UPRN=" tag (or
> similar; other tags are available.....).

In the short term, not a lot. But, in the long run, UPRNs are likely to
have increasing importance. Consumers will be expected to know, or at
least know where to find, their UPRN - it will be a public identifier
for business rates and council tax, for example. I would even expect
sat-navs to start supporting them - they are more precise than
postcodes, but easier to type in than a full address. So having them
available to the map will facilitate that.

Mark