[Talk-GB] UPRN Locations Map

Russ Garrett russ at garrett.co.uk
Fri Jul 3 09:44:15 UTC 2020

On Fri, 3 Jul 2020 at 10:26, Nick <nick at foresters.org> wrote:
> I was wondering about that - I checked on https://osg.scot/portal/ to
> check licensing and could not see anything relevant when searching for
> individual UPRNs.

Even if you ignore the bit about OS copyright, it says "You may
retrieve and display Content from the Site on a computer screen, print
individual pages on paper and store such pages in electronic form on
disk (but not on any server or other storage device connected to a
network) for your personal, non-commercial use provided that you
acknowledge the copyright owner."

This is (definitely) not compatible with OSM.

I'm a bit surprised that they claim the link between UPRN and address
is not covered by OS copyright. But at any rate, it doesn't matter as
their own license is pretty much equally restrictive.

> This introduces an interesting debate regarding addresses. As far as I
> know the PostCode is under license from Royal Mail - if so does that
> mean we should not put that on buildings plotted in OSM? From personal
> experience, I know that Local Authorities do make mistakes and UPRNs
> with associated data (address etc.) can be incorrect, including UPRNs in
> the wrong location. The tool I developed was to enable me to verify
> address data - I do that by also checking the Roayl Mail address finder.

Post codes themselves are not protected. If you get the post code from
a company's website, or you ask someone their post code, that's
*usually* fair game.

The *collection* of post codes in the Royal Mail PAF (or OS
AddressBase) is considered a database, and will be subject to the
database right. This is what prevents you from copying them from those
sources into OSM.

There's a bit more info here:
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Copyright_information_for_UK_mappers

--