[Talk-GB] UPRN Locations Map

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Fri Jul 3 11:28:28 UTC 2020

On 03/07/2020 11:23, Tony OSM wrote:

> There was a reference to £1000 worth of data being made free each month
> to individual users - can't find out how this works yet. This may allow
> us as individuals to populate OSM and OSM essentially aggregates the
> data - rather like postcode data.

Generally reconstructing a database piecemeal is considered no different
from copying a substantial part in one go.

I suspect the reality with postcodes is that the the Post Office doesn't
see collection of individual codes from the relevant business or
resident as a significant risk, as they don't believe anyone will
construct a sufficiently complete database that way.

Unlike natural features, both postcodes and telephone numbers start
their life as entries in databases, but both of them need to be known to
contacts of a person without the need for formally entering into a
licence agreement.

However, if every user used their free quota of postcode searches each
day, I think the Post Office would take action.

Normally when limited searches are allowed, there is also a personal use
only restriction applied.