[Talk-GB] UPRN & USRN Tagging

Mark Goodge mark at good-stuff.co.uk
Fri Jul 3 20:28:17 UTC 2020

On 03/07/2020 21:07, Andy Mabbett wrote:
> On Fri, 3 Jul 2020 at 15:31, Tony OSM <tonyosm9 at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Question: Should uprn be applied to the building outline or to a node?
>
> Yes ;-)
>
> Some UPRNs have a 1:1 relation with a building or object (terraced,
> semi- or detached house, telephone box, etc.)
>
> Some do not (apartments; subdivided houses, etc.)
>
> I propose we tag accordingly.

I agree. But, where multiple UPRNs are co-located with a single
building, there's no consistent way to tell from the Open UPRN data
which UPRN attaches to which subdivision. The open data has no z-index,
so where you have a flat above a shop, for example, the data will give
you two UPRNs for the same building but no indication of which is the
flat and which is the shop.

For that, you need local knowledge - and it can't be local knowledge
obtained from incompatible sources. So there won't be any easy way to
look it up, as all the lookups are likely to be based on data obtained
from MasterMap and AddressBase.

Mark