[Talk-GB] UPRN Locations Map

Lester Caine lester at lsces.uk
Sat Jul 4 22:46:55 UTC 2020

On 04/07/2020 23:14, Cj Malone wrote:
> On Sat, 2020-07-04 at 22:24 +0100, Lester Caine wrote:
>> What is needed is a means of adding LAYERS of data which can be
>> managed either via third party data sets, or manual edited using
>> existing tools to add data that is missing from the narrow view
>> confined to 'current' objects ...
>
> If I understand you right, I like the idea of this, for example a layer
> of bus stops in the UK would be sourced from NapTAN. That layer would
> be kept up to date with NapTAN (most bus stops in OSM are a decade old,
> unmodified, not validated) and OSM mappers could add
> corrections/modifications.
> Potentially we could have a line of communication to NapTAN to inform
> them of errors in there dataset.
>
> It'll be hard to change some peoples minds, but it's worth discussing.

That is one example and if editing the data can be carried out using
existing tools then new data sets can be created in a similar way. My
own tools for handling NLPG data was targeted to allow councils to
automatically create update data sets as they create new uprn's or
correct existing ones.

But my own interest is not so much the independent layers like NapTAN
but being able to update current records with historic details such as
start_dates which apply to CURRENT objects, but also maintain data that
has expired due to end_date.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL