[Talk-GB] Paths on Wimbledon Common

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 12:49:05 UTC 2020

On 10/07/2020 12:54, Andrew Hain wrote:
> I have been doing some tidying based on Osmose, including the warning
> for highway=footway foot=yes, which is often left over from a preset
> in Potlatch 1.

If Osmose is flagging "highway=footway;foot=yes" as a warning I'd
suggest that that is a problem that needs logging with Osmose.

Speaking for myself, I've tagged "highway=footway" as "foot=yes" (where
there is a legal right of way, such as a public footpath in England and
Wales, or across access land), as "foot=permissive" where there isn't a
legal right of way but general access is permitted (perhaps in
parks/gardens that are occasionally closed but aren't restricted to
"customers" and where there is no legal right of access) and as
"foot=designated" where there's actual signage that suggests that foot
traffic should go _this_ way rather than some other way which would
otherwise be legal.

I'd also use "designation=public_footpath" if appropriate (and also set
"foot=yes" on those to make it clear to everyone who might not
understand a "designation" tag).  Prior to that tag being adopted, there
was some use of "foot=designated" to indicate "this is a public
footpath" but about 10 years ago or so (I think) people started using
"designation=public_footpath" instead.

In summary - I'd agree with the changeset commenter that "foot=yes" was
useful on those paths as it made it explicit that there was legal access
for foot traffic despite there being no public footpath there.

Best Regards,

Andy