[Talk-GB] The curious case of USRN 20602512

Lester Caine lester at lsces.uk
Fri Jul 10 13:21:20 UTC 2020

On 10/07/2020 11:27, Mark Goodge wrote:
> This is, of course, one of the problems with proprietary data. It can be
> difficult to spot errors, because the people who are most likely to spot
> errors - members of the general public with local knowledge - tend not
> to have easy access to the data.

Spot on ...
The 'proprietary data' is however the input from the relevant officer at
the council covering the area. Probably originally tacked on to another
job description and someone who probably had no training is this 'new'
function? I was receiving NLPG updates for many years and the vast
majority of 'updates' were corrections to data rather than additions.
The problem has always been not allowing public access to what has
always been public data and now we do have access there needs to be a
proper channel to feed corrections to the 'data officer' responsible for
the relevant slice of raw data. I don't think THAT has changed since the
requirements for councils to provided the raw NPLG data passed into law?
I'm fairly sure the street data is part of the same legal framework ...

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL