[Talk-GB] Great North Trail MTB Route

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 13:17:14 UTC 2020

On 12/07/2020 12:32, Adam Snape wrote:

> My main concern here is about whether we should be mapping unmarked
> routes at all and especially whether it is okay to import them without
> discussion or the explicit permission of the copyright holder.

I'd agree with that.  Generally speaking, even aside from the copyright
issue, I don't believe that unsigned routes belong in OSM.  Where I've
personally come across them I've not removed them (since someone thought
it was valid to add in the first place) but have added "name:signed=no"
to e.g. https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/6366232 to allow me to
filter "someone wrote a book once" routes from
https://map.atownsend.org.uk .  I'd also agree with Richard's point on
https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/74330916 that this is not a
general bicycle route and shouldn't be tagged as such.

If the consensus here is "this does not belong in OSM" then I'd be happy
to see it and other unsigned routes removed (perhaps creating something
somewhere else like umap where an overlay can be made available); if we
don't have permission to add it then it definitely should be removed if
the CTC haven't made the data available under a suitable licence (and
I'm not a lawyer, but
https://www.cyclinguk.org/about-ctc/policies-procedures/ctcs-website/terms-and-conditions
doesn't look like it unless someone has explicitly asked).

Incidentally, there are some edge cases - Wainright's "Coast to Coast"
was originally a book but is extensively signposted at the eastern end
(see https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/7336319 ).  "The Inn Way to
the North York Moors" https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/8450999 was
apparently also a book route, and I'd originally set it as
"name:signed=no" but I have found one guidepost -
https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/7235773122 .

Best Regards,

Andy (writing in a personal capacity*)

* I'm also a member of the DWG, and we occasionally get copyright
complaints about things like this, although I'm not aware of one in this
case.