[Talk-GB] Farmworkers Seasonal Accomodation

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Sun Jul 12 16:06:16 UTC 2020

The recent outbreak of covid-19 in Herefordshire prompts me to wonder how
we map the groups of (usually) caravans provided on farm sites to
accommodate seasonal workers. I remember we (Andy, Tom & I) passed one east
of Gringley-on-the-Hill 5 years ago which Andy (SomeoneElse) mapped
<https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/326799686> as landuse=residential. (It
looks to have increased in size since then)

I've added <https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/825437797> the area which I
presume is the similarly dedicated area on Rook Row Farm, Mathon: the covid
outbreak site. This one is more readily confusable with a touring caravan
site, at least on Bing imagery, than the one at Gringley. I've also added a
residential=seasonal_farm_workers as a subtag for now.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for how to tag these? it was the
first thing I that came to mind.

We may wish to map these more explicitly as this outbreak may not be the
last in this type of setting. (I've also done a few of the meat packing
factories, but not sure I've fully tagged them. They are often both
abattoirs and a production facility)