[Talk-GB] Great North Trail MTB Route

Andy Allan gravitystorm at gmail.com
Mon Jul 13 10:25:50 UTC 2020

On Sun, 12 Jul 2020 at 13:20, Tony OSM <tonyosm9 at gmail.com> wrote:

> So please do not tag as ncn; but please keep as a route.

Sustrans are not the only group in the UK that can make signed cycling
routes of national-importance, although they are certainly the biggest
and most well-known. But if another organisation makes a signed
national route, it will also get a ncn designation in OSM.

So please don't read too much into the "ncn" tag. The same tag is used
throughout the world for national cycling routes in OSM. It's not
entirely a coincidence that the tag and the concept of Sustrans'
National Cycling Network are very similar, and I say that as one of
the people who was involved in the history of this tag, but in
retrospect the overlap in meanings isn't hugely helpful. Think instead
of the ncn of network=ncn being a rather unusual contraction of the
work "national" (maybe we dropped all the vowels and the l and changed
the t to a c, or something), rather than referring to a specific
network from a specific organisation.

Thanks,
Andy