[Talk-GB] Call to action: Translators needed

osm at poppe.dev osm at poppe.dev
Tue Jul 14 15:21:12 UTC 2020

> I've been asked to clarify this as it might come across as a personal
> attack which was not intended, sorry.

Apology accepted, but ...

> The, very well funded, organizations in OSM space that claim
> "Humanitarian" for themselves, market themselves mainly by having a
> never ending stream of emergencies (some real, some not, some where OSM
> mapping could be useful, some not) that urgently need attention.
>
> In exchange for allowing HOT, MM etc to monetize your participation in
> "resolving" these emergencies, you get alleviated to a superior human
> being, well at least for a while. Think of it as a digital Ablasshandel,
> just that in the middle ages the benefits were probably more tangible.

... again, your wording sounds like you don't trust the organizations further that you could throw a rock and basically discard their efforts as those of money-hungry, evil corporations that aren't interested in the humanitarian aspect at all (Ablasshandel was a big thing in medieval times, I guess we shouldn't go down that road).

I know that I might be exaggerating, but in essence you're just lumping all 20+ organizations together and ignore their individuality.

> A "Call to action" for MapSwipe translations just reiterates the same
> concepts in the particular absurd situation were the issue  at hand
> could have been resolved with a couple of minutes work at any time over
> the last 5 years if the developers were even remotely interested in
> cooperating with wider OSM instead of just sapping out some manpower.

"Call to action" was _my wording_ and _my idea_ alone, nobody forced me to word it that way, nor have I given it a second thought, so every criticism to that reflects back to my action.

If you think that the developing team could have just done/given thought "5 more minutes" (As a developer for 30+ years, I'm very sceptical of such claims) to incorporate their project into the established areas, there's no hinderance for you to get into contact (because you now know of the problem, that's why nobody has done so earlier) with them, and provide an easy solution to the absurdity of the situation that you see.

You might have just had a bad day just like I had a couple of unpleasant weeks, but I do not understand your reasoning for your reactions. That might just be me and I might be completely in the wrong here, but I suggest we leave it at that.

Kai