[Talk-GB] TPT / NCN62 (was: Re: National Cycle Network removal/reclassification)

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Sat Jul 18 18:17:00 UTC 2020

On 18/07/2020 17:06, Adam Snape wrote:
> On the subject of overlapping relations. I've recently noticed that
> the NCN 62 relation has been named Transpennine trail which is true
> for much, but not all of the route. The TPT ends at Southport, yet NCN
> 62 continues further North. At the eastern end of the TPT goes far
> beyond the end of NCN 62 which ends at Selby. They need to be two
> separate relations.

The Trans-Pennine Trail is a bit confusing, both on the ground and in
OSM.  A quick query in OSM south of Selby turns up this:

"ref=62; name=Trans Pennine Trail"

and this:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/1761919#map=10/53.7874/-0.6265&layers=H

"ref=TPT; name=Trans Pennine Trail"

and also this:

https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/10521621#map=10/53.6371/-1.2158&layers=H

"name=Trans Pennine Trail (Wombwell to Selby)"

It essentially goes all over the place, and doesn't correspond to one
particular NCN (see
https://www.transpenninetrail.org.uk/?doing_wp_cron=1595095458.7358970642089843750000
).  The Chesterfield end has two braids and partially corresponds to
what is or was NCN 67.

The superroute I believe is https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/4139041

If NCN 62 isn't properly called the Transpennine Trail I'd remove that
name from it and explain in a note on the relation why.  My recollection
is that NCN62 and TPT signage is separate, but it's a while since I've
seen any so I may be wrong.

The best approach for tidying would I think be to:

  * Find anything not in the superroute and figure out what the status
    actually is.
  * Ensure that routes in the superroute are split where tags change
    (e.g. bits with NCN 62 signage and bits without)

It'd be a lot of work for relatively little reward though - presumably
that's why no-one's stepped up to tidy things up yet.

Best Regards,

Andy