[Talk-GB] National Cycle Network removal/reclassification

Jon Pennycook jpennycook at bcs.org.uk
Sun Jul 19 11:59:12 UTC 2020

Clearly, the review of the National Cycle Network isn't too stringent.
NCN223 between Woking and Chertsey is still listed on
https://osmaps.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/ncn, despite the shared use path being
about 2-3 feet wide in many places with blind road crossings, especially
along Guildford Road/Chertsey Road south of Ottershaw. The NCN246 follows a
60mph B road before joining a 30mph A road at Hurstbourne Tarrant, and I am
told is horrible for cycle commuting (it's not much fun for leisure cycling
when it's busy). Parts of the NCN2 in Purbeck are just sand.

The sections removed must be truly awful if all the above are retained. Or
is SusTrans hoping for more money to improve charismatic parts of the
network?

Jon