[Talk-GB] Local Wildlife Sites

Chris Hill osm at raggedred.net
Mon Jul 20 16:03:07 UTC 2020

On 20/07/2020 15:52, Jez Nicholson wrote:
> Does anyone have any experience with
> https://www.wildlifetrusts.org/local-wildlife-sitesĀ ?
>
> I've had an inquiry about including Brighton & Hove LWSes on OSM.

I am a member of Yorkshire Wildlife Trust so I had a conversation with
them about their reserves a few years ago. They sent me some data. It
was entirely based on OS data, so I couldn't use any of it in OSM. I
surveyed North Cave wetlands, a large reserve close to me. You can see
my efforts here https://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=16/53.7846/-0.6634
Most of the names are from my own knowledge.

I think each trust is independent, with a loose affiliation to the
national group.

I've added one or two smaller reserves in outline that I have visites
with a few lakes and woods as you would expect. It can sometimes be hard
to know the extent of a reserve just from aerial imagery and surveys can
be awkward because the sites usually want people to stay on paths to
avoid wildlife disturbance.

--
cheers
Chris Hill (chillly)