[Talk-GB] Local Wildlife Sites

SK53 sk53.osm at gmail.com
Tue Jul 21 14:26:52 UTC 2020

Yes, am reasonably familiar with ones in Notts & Derbys. A friend led the
initial survey work (Phase 1 habitat) back in the 1970s, other friends were
surveyors.

Some LAs do have these as data on their GIS systems (Nottingham &
Nottinghamshire for instance), others have lists (RBWM). I understand that
in some cases they are reluctant to publish because doing so would alert
less-sympathetic landowners who may then destroy the sites. I have always
imagined that the data could be obtainable under EIR, but as I'm aware of
these sensitivities I havent tried. Some Wildlife Trusts have enough
resources to get round the LWS in their area every few years.

They are a statutory designation, but confer no protections. A significant
proportion of remaining true meadows are LWS rather than SSSI (largely
because Natural England have not had resources to perform designation).
They vary between protected verges, local nature reserves and private land.
I suspect the only tag which is truly viable on OSM is designation. We
certainly should not map them in such a way that implies they are nature
reserves.

Jerry