[Talk-GB] Scheduled Monument

Mark Goodge mark at good-stuff.co.uk
Thu Jul 23 08:00:15 UTC 2020

On 22/07/2020 23:02, Dave Love wrote:
> On Wed, 2020-07-15 at 10:18 +0100, Tony OSM wrote:
>
>> For a building or similar I presently use
>>
>> HE_ref=1072653
>> heritage=2
>> heritage:operator= Historic England
>> historic= heritage
>> listed_status=Grade II
>> name= War Memorial Gateway to Astley Park
>> barrier=gate
>> start_date= mid C19
>> website=
>> https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/the-list/list-entry/1072653
>
> I forgot to comment before:  From a maintenance point of view, is it a
> good idea to add redundant data (that I assume are implied by HE_ref)?

The HE_Ref is probably the important one, as that links back to the
original data source. But the rest of it seems a reasonable way of
tagging listed buildings.

> Also:
>
> On Thu, 2020-07-16 at 14:10 +0100, Tony OSM wrote:
>> Yes, maintenance when things change is an issue.
>>
>> I've looked at taginfo listed_status and found several variations
>> for
>> Scheduled Monument, Grade(value)
>>
>> I plan to do several things if there are no objections
>>
>> 1. update wiki listed_status to show the capitalised values
>> Scheduled
>> Monument, Protected Wreck Site,
>> Park and Garden, Battlefield, World Heritage Site, Certificate of
>> Immunity, Building Preservation Notice
>
> What happens to, say, a park/garden with a grade, then?

Parks and Gardens are, typically, not listed buildings and don't have
grades in the same way.

> Straying a bit from the topic a bit, perhaps it's worth adding
> something about adding listed things that may not be obvious to
> everyone.  If you find in the HE listings a building (say) you don't
> already know and want to tag it, presumably it's a problem that you
> can't just match the position on their OS maps to OSM.  I assume you
> need to take the listed grid reference and just use that (which you
> probably can't with curtilages etc. or a monument like an ancient
> ditch, though that's likely on NLS 1:10000).  The wiki could use info
> about converting grid references too, unless I missed it.

The re-usable data for listed buildings only contains a point, so that's
the only useful geographic data for them even if the map on the HE
website shows the curtilage. Some of the data for monuments includes a
polygon, but not all, and you can't tell from the website which does and
which doesn't - you have to download and convert the shapefiles.

Mark