[Talk-GB] Surveying rural buildings

Nick nick at foresters.org
Fri Jul 24 09:38:41 UTC 2020

My thanks to Mateusz and Dave for their comments, which I would like to
try to summarise as I see it:

  * the purpose of OSM mapping in the UK of rural buildings is primarily
    to provide a general location of properties i.e. accuracy and
    precision are unnecessary.
  * 'armchair' mapping therefore meets the needs, predominantly using
    aerial photos or other tools/data

If so, I guess I was missing the point as I kind of thought that in the
future there might be the potential for collaboration with Ordnance
Survey e.g. filling in the gaps with high quality surveys, sharing
'other' data (based on local knowledge) that is not on OS maps etc.

I also thought that there might be scope for collaboration with
construction developers - after all they do detailed surveys of their
building sites which could be added to OSM. For some developers that
would mean they could have free plans (site/location etc.) for their
planning applications. The data  in turn could be of value to the Local
Authorities e.g. creating UPRN and BLPU data - with a collaborative
approach OSM 'volunteers' could also be checking data quality.

Hmm..  the potential for real collaboration between OSM 'volunteers', OS
and other agencies strikes me as a possible win-win?.. but I suppose
that is me going 'a step too far'