[Talk-GB] Using OSM as a base for my own fictional map?

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at tutanota.com
Fri Jul 24 22:18:58 UTC 2020

Jul 25, 2020, 00:06 by martin at templot.com:

> I need to work out how to do the attribution and any copyright issues. I can easily add the usual © OpenStreetMap Contributors caption on the corner of each tile. But is it permitted to modify and re-use the standard OSM map image in this way?

Copyright is not a problem. But note
"OpenStreetMap data is free for everyone to use. Our tile servers are not."

See https://operations.osmfoundation.org/policies/tiles/ for more

"In particular, downloading an area of over 250 tiles at zoom level 13
or higher for offline or later usage is forbidden."

is the most limiting part

> What indication is required that it has been modified? The project will be free and open-source, there is no financial gain involved.

Not a lawyer, but clear attribution and explanation that railway lines are 100% fantasy
should be OK. And it will make you a better data consumer than a typical corporation
using OSM data.

There is no trap here, do not worry about it (as long as you properly attribute, no one
sane will even complain)

Note that it is perfectly fine to use OSM data for commercial purposes, just remember
about attribution (as usual).

Note that if you will draw this fantasy railways based on other OSM data you will create
derivative work that will be (AFAIK, not a lawyer) also ODBL licensed.

I skipped technical parts - I have no experience here and there is plenty of ways to achieve that.
Though I suspect that rendering map (raster tiles with Mapnik, client-side rendered vector tiles,
rendering on client side from raw OSM data etc) will be better than fetching raster tiles and modifying
them