[Talk-GB] Admin Boundaries and Combined Authorities

Colin Smale colin.smale at xs4all.nl
Sun Jul 26 22:50:42 UTC 2020

Hi,

I think we need to discuss tagging of Combined Authorities. I spotted an
edit that changed the tagging on West Yorkshire Combined Authority, and
it was pointed out to me that there were already other instances of
similar tagging for Combined Authorities (Greater Manchester for
example).

CAs have basically zero interaction with the public, except for the
directly elected Mayor; although they have certain statutory tasks
(public transport etc). They can be seen as a grouping of local
authorities, as opposed to a LA in their own right. Should they really
be tagged as boundary=administrative at all? Or should they have a
parallel hierarchy as is used for police areas for example?

If they are accepted as boundary=administrative, what admin level should
be used? The LAs of which the CAs are composed are sometimes
Metropolitan Boroughs with admin_level=8, and sometimes Unitary
Authorities with admin_level=6. I am tending towards admin_level=5; this
value is/was in use for the Regions, but they no longer have an admin
function (if they ever had one) so I consider admin level 5 as
"available" for use by Combined Authorities.

An alternative may be to represent them as relations containing as
members the constituent authorities. This would have the advantage of
the ability (through the use of roles) to distinguish between
"constituent councils" which are full members and "non-constituent
councils" which only participate in certain committees.

Any thoughts or comments?