[Talk-GB] Rockall

barry b bpb101.1 at hotmail.com
Mon Jun 15 21:14:26 UTC 2020

Hi Folks, I made the below changes to rockall.

The changes i've made are
1) Changed Rockall from Island to Rock
2) Removed the Administration boundary

1) Rockall is not a island.  You could debate its a rock or islet but it cant sustain human life.
2 https://www.kildarestreet.com/wrans/?id=2011-03-24.365.0 Irish Government call it a rock
3)https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/97923/response/262438/attach/html/3/0109%2012.pdf.html - Uk Government call it a islet
4) The hint is in its name 🙂

2) The reason for removing the administration boundary is i wanted to remove the EEZ around rockall.( The big circle)
From a visual point of view this looks off. it implies there is an island or county there. But more importantly it is incorrect

Firstly even according the the UK. The EEZ wouldn't be 200nm, it would be 12 - https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/97923/response/262438/attach/html/3/0109%2012.pdf.html

Secondly. No country accepts the EEZ and is considered international waters.
Several countries claim it Iceland, Denmark , UK and Ireland.

In the coming months this rock in the middle of nowhere could potentially turn into a larger issue with the UK exit from the EU as Iceland, Ireland and other EU country all fish here
Last summer there was a standoff with the UK Navy and fishing boats. The Irish Navy have also regularly patrol the area in protection of fishery

I can give a list of references to show the EEZ recognized, but i don't think that helpful

I don't know the exact procedure here. I feel i didn't do it right.

Happy to discuss further.
Cheers
Barry