[Talk-GB] Documenting tagging practice for place nodes in London

Russ Garrett russ at garrett.co.uk
Wed Jun 24 08:35:47 UTC 2020

On Wed, 24 Jun 2020 at 09:19, Jez Nicholson <jez.nicholson at gmail.com> wrote:
> I take it that these names are used by Nominatim to assist with search. I know it's another form of tagging-for-the-renderer, but do you know how/whether changes affect it?

I'm not especially familiar with the internals of Nominatim but I
think for most purposes it actually prefers the page rank on Wikipedia
(discovered via the wikidata tag if provided) for ranking place nodes,
rather than the actual value of the place tag (which makes sense as
the usage tends to be inconsistent anyway).

https://nominatim.org/release-docs/develop/develop/Ranking

--
Russ Garrett
russ at garrett.co.uk