[Talk-GB] Quarterly Project Suggestion - drink_water:refill

Jake Edmonds jake_edmonds at me.com
Sat Mar 14 20:31:55 UTC 2020

> On 14 Mar 2020, at 21:21, Mark Goodge <mark at good-stuff.co.uk> wrote:
>

> On 14/03/2020 19:36, Jake Edmonds wrote:
>>> On 14 Mar 2020, at 20:09, Mark Goodge <mark at good-stuff.co.uk <mailto:mark at good-stuff.co.uk>> wrote:
>
>>> If we do come up with an agreed tagging system, I'd be happy to add tags for all the establishments in my town that I know offer this service.
>> Maybe you have already seen them, but here is a link to the recently approved tags. Do you have any thoughts?
>> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key%3Adrinking_water%3Arefill
>
> That seems reasonable. My only real concern is that tagging as part of a network could cause the network to think that we are re-creating their proprietary database. I'd prefer to stick with a simple drinking_water:refill=yes
Is that a concern from a legal standpoint or an attempt to keep a good relationship between OSM and Refill (or any other network?)
As a consumer, I’m looking for a place to refill my bottle, I’m not so concerned about which network the establishment is part of. Maybe I missed it, but I can’t remember any discuss from the proposal about why drink_water:refill:network was needed, maybe Stuart can clarify?

But could the same thing be said about most brand related tags in OSM?

>>> And I could do that purely by observation; I don't have the Refill app or any other insight into their database, so there's no danger of adding non-free data to OSM. I'm sure that there are plenty of other people up and down the country who would be in a similar position.
>> Another way to avoid any worry of users submitting non-free data is to make storefront photos part of the project.
>
> Possibly, although that makes it less likely that we'll get a critical mass of contributions. I could tag several establishments in my town from memory. Having to go back and photograph them would be an additional barrier.

Of course, I certainly didn’t mean to suggest it as a requirement but more of an optional extension that would serve to both give users greater detail and help contributors ‘prove’ that they were not copy Refills data.