[Talk-GB] Ficticious embankments? Vandalism.

ael witwall3 at disroot.org
Tue Mar 17 14:30:53 UTC 2020

On Tue, Mar 17, 2020 at 01:08:52PM +1100, Warin wrote:
> On 17/3/20 8:02 am, ael wrote:
> >
> > I have only just got around to looking in more detail, and discovered
> > that it is much worse than I had realised: vandalism.
> >
> > I have taken waypoints on nearly all of the individual stones, and then
> > refined those positions with waypoint averaging on multiple visits.
>

> In cases like this I would use the source tag on the way so that others have a very good chance of seeing it and respecting the previous work rather than simply changing it to what they think it should be.

Indeed. I nearly always include a source tag for those sorts of reasons.
In this case the user did not just move the points, but deleted them,
source tag and all. So destroying the history.

> It is too easy to over look hard work that may have gone into establishing data.
> A single GPS trace is fine if that is all there is, better to average many GPS traces, in some locations I have 50+.

In this case, I used a "waypoint averaging" function on my Garmin. That
collects fixes over long periods and applies statistical algorithms to
refine the coordinates. And this can be done on many occasions to refine
the position even further. I had done this on many visits, and each
averaging took considerable time. Often in pretty nasty weather.
So my coordinates should have been very accurate. Hence my anger that
they should have been deleted.

ael