[Talk-GB] Quarterly Project Suggestion - drink_water:refill

Mark Goodge mark at good-stuff.co.uk
Fri Mar 20 12:47:37 UTC 2020

On 20/03/2020 10:55, European Water Project wrote:
> Dear All,
>
> Just got off a long conversation with Rebecca Burgess, CEO of Refill.
>
> Unsurprisingly, Refill has no plans to share any of their proprietary
> data, but their App is open because anybody can use it  :)

For comparison purposes, I installed their app. While their base list of
establishments in my town that offer free refills concurs with my own
observations and council data, their mapping is awful. They've moved
Tesco half a mile further down the road than it really is. A local
independent coffee shop is on the wrong street. A cafe that I use
regularly is in completely the wrong part of town! In fact, of the six
locations they list here, only one of them (Wetherspoons!) has the
correct coordinates.

So they've clearly got significant quality control issues. It seems to
me that an Open Data product based on OSM would be more reliable than
their solution, however it's being implemented. Provided the location of
a premises is correct in OSM (which it usually is), then simply tagging
that premises as offering free refills provides all the information
necessary. The Refill app, by contrast, expects users to supply
coordinates themselves (by dragging and tapping on a map), which is
always likely to be unreliable.

> Refill has plans to use more and more OpenStreetMap data to populate
> their network over time without re-contributing ...   Just a shame
> everyone can't just use the Refill App (sarcasm) !

Based on what I've seen, people are better off not using it.

Mark