[Talk-GB] Ficticious embankments? Vandalism.

Warin 61sundowner at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 21:19:04 UTC 2020

On 21/3/20 11:02 pm, ael wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 21, 2020 at 10:45:53AM +1100, Warin wrote:
>>> I agree entirely and have often wished for exactly that. I sometimes use
>>> source=gps_surveys  (plural) to try to convey that this is not just one
>>> random gps trace.
>> "source=average of multiple gps surveys, high accuracy"
>>
>> Be really descriptive... the 's' on the end of gps surveys is really easy to miss.
> Well, yes, and I do quite often expand the source tag to try to
> convey more. But in your example "high" accuracy is a problem.
> If I was using differential gps with cm accuracy, I would call
> that "high" accuracy. In the present case, the accuracy is
> not really known, but probably approaching a meter.
> But I guess that sort of thing could be included in a source tag,
> although free form text might be better in a note tag.

Is not the source tag free form? Indeed any OSM tag is 'free form' - i.e.  "Any tags you like".

I don't think any one uses the source tag other than mappers looking at where the data came from. As such it can be anything you think suitable.

The 'high accuracy' is a relative term simply there to help those that don't understand the previous 'average of multiple gps surveys'

> But my impression is that many armchair mappers just don't look.

In this case any tags will be ignored. Pointless coming up with another tag.