[Talk-GB] Public Rights of Way - legal vs reality

Robert Whittaker (OSM lists) robert.whittaker+osm at gmail.com
Mon May 4 11:40:59 UTC 2020

As a general principle, I think we should certainly map both (a) any
physical paths on the ground and (b) the legal Definitive Line (though
not necessarily as a highway if it isn't one). These might be separate
ways if the two line differ, though they'd normally be one and the
same. It would also be useful to map (c) any required deviations from
the definitive line in order to use a Right of Way, whether or not
there's a physical path in evidence there, in order to maintain a
route-able network or ways.

Further details of the tagging I use in various cases can be found at
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/User:Rjw62/PRoW_Tagging#Routes_not_following_the_Definitive_Line

By the way Nathan, are you adding prow_ref=* tags to the Rights of
Way, and if so what format are you using? If you're mapping Rights of
Way in Lancashire, you might be interested in my tools at
https://osm.mathmos.net/prow/progress/lancs/

Best wishes,

Robert.

On Mon, 4 May 2020 at 11:29, nathan case <nathancase at outlook.com> wrote:
> I’m using the very helpful work Mapbox tiles (from Rob Nickerson’s email on 11 Nov 2019) to map Lancashire’s public rights of way (PROW) under the council’s open data licence.
[snip]

--
Robert Whittaker