[Talk-GB] Footways bikes can go on

Dave F davefoxfac63 at btinternet.com
Sat Nov 21 13:47:20 UTC 2020

HI

There's a misconception that highway=cycleway implies an automatic
authority over other path users. This is untrue It's just a hierarchy of
the number of different transport modes permitted to use it. Similarly,
highway=residential permits motor vehicles as well as bicycles &
pedestrians.Who has right of way is specific to certain locations.

If it's definitely designated as cyclable (I couldn't see any signs in
GSV) then I'd tag it as

highway=cycleway
bicycle=designated
foot=designated
segregated=no
surface=asphalt  (in this case)
width=*

If you know it's a public footpath add:
designation=public_footpath

If you know the footpath's reference add:
prow_ref=*

Is there a reason you tagged it as access=no?

The only place a rider of a bicycle should go full speed is in a velodrome.

Cheers
DaveF