[Talk-GB] FWD: Revert the "Felixstowe to Nuneaton" relation

Andy Townsend ajt1047 at gmail.com
Sun Nov 22 11:31:56 UTC 2020

On 21/11/2020 15:56, ipswichmapper--- via Talk-GB wrote:

>     https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/7521925
>
>     That is the relation I am talking about.
>
>     An edit made by user nplath seems to have made this relation into
>     a clone of the "Ipswich To Cambridge-Ely" relation. You can tell
>     this because the number of members went down from ~400 to ~150.

You can see the history of the relation at
http://osm.mapki.com/history/relation.php?id=7521925 .

The changeset that you're talking about,
https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/67930034 , claimed to be a
revert, and a previous changeset that affected the line
https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/67336351 was reverted in
https://www.openstreetmap.org/changeset/67709664 .  Comments made on
changesets by this user can be seen at
http://resultmaps.neis-one.org/osm-discussion-comments?uid=8350466 , but
unfortunately they don't include all of the reverts and counter-reverts.

 >  If somehow to members of this relation can be reverted to back when
there were 400 members, then that would be good.

Given that the original change happened in March 2019, no-one's going to
be able to "wave a magic wand" and restore this relation to back how it
was then, since there will be ways that existed then that don't exist
any more.  However the restore is done there will be quite a lot of
"manually filling in gaps" needed.

Are you asking the list because you'd like to check that it is a good
idea, because you'd like to do it yourself but don't know how, or simply
don't have time to do it yourself and just wanted to make more people
aware of the problem?  All of these perfectly valid reasons of course.

If I was going to do it I'd probably start by undoing the relation back
to the changeset 67822240 version with "undo.pl" from the perl revert
scripts, and then fill in the gaps manually by looking at
http://overpass-turbo.eu/s/10rc (that's an overpass query of that
relation on a date just after the last "valid" change).  However, there
may be quite a few gaps to fill in, so it'd likely need someone with a
bit of free time to do that part (which depending on the answer to the
previous question, may or may not be you).

Best Regards,

Andy