[Talk-GB] Turn Restrictions at roundabouts

James Derrick lists at jamesderrick.org
Sun Oct 4 10:20:26 UTC 2020

On 04/10/2020 07:42, Edward Bainton wrote:
> I've been marking them as false positives as to my mind it's obvious
> that you wouldn't U-turn there (but equally, it would be legal to do so).

You would also probably need a vehicle with a tight turning circle, and
a quiet road - so agree it would be an unusual choice. Agree false
positives.

> But the points about machine routing make me think maybe I shouldn't
> be closing these off? Any thoughts?

Your example looks like a very common roundabout flare 3-way node with a
cycleway crossing node. Taking the JOSM code as an example, perhaps the
"ImproveOSM" validation also has a segment length test (<20m?) so the
crossing is suggesting a more complex junction?

> Eg, at node https://www.openstreetmap.org/node/26187838

Personally, adding restrictions to this common a use-case should be
unnecessary (fix once in the router, not every roundabout on the map).
Save your effort for more complex junctions where software
understandably needs a helping hand with real-world oddities.

Happy Mapping,

James
--
James Derrick