[Talk-GB] Cycle Infrastructure Q3 2020 project outcomes

Gareth L o.i at LIVE.CO.UK
Fri Oct 9 20:50:03 UTC 2020

Hello,

The Q3 2020 project was a focus on cycle infrastructure, which is a large subset of data. It was announced on July 10th.
As a personal note, I can bemoan about the disjointed nature of cycle infrastructure, particularly in my local area, but what does exist is best mapped on OSM. Unlike roads or footpaths which are found in fairly consistent detail in OSM/OS/google/etc, cycleways really do appear to be a coverage gap.

Disclaimer: I am not a data scientist.

Here’s some numbers, though they’re for Great Britain as that’s what I had data extracts of.:
Note: lengths are approximate because projections are tricky.

Per quarter (91.25 days), in 2020 before the quarterly project was announced, contributors were adding approx. 94km of ways tagged highway=cycleway.

However! A global pandemic induced lockdown ‘might’ stifle the opportunity to survey and impact that number..

Per quarter, in 2019, the average was 129km of ways tagged highway=cycleway.

During the Q3 2020 project, the rate increased to 221km/quarter. Which is 235% of the value in q1/q2, and 171% of the value calculated through 2019.

Note: This is a very specific measurement, which does not include additions of cycleway:left|right|both:lane to other kinds of highway, or footways with bicycle=designated, bridleways, etc.

Through the entirety of 2019, 2603 additional nodes tagged amenity=bicycle_parking were added.

>From start of 2020 until start of July 2020, 1424 additional nodes tagged amenity=bicycle_parking were added.

During the Q3 quarterly project, 1821 additional nodes tagged amenity=bicycle_parking were added.

Even with enhancing detail:

Number of amenity=bicycle_parking nodes with ‘covered’ tags, capacity tags:

January 2019: 22494 nodes, 11520 with ‘covered’ detail, 18065 with ‘capacity’ detail

January 2020: 25097 nodes, 13257 with ‘covered’ detail, 20308 with ‘capacity’ detail

July 2019:        26521 nodes, 13972 with ‘covered’ detail, 21621 with ‘capacity’ detail

January 2019: 28342 nodes, 14900 with ‘covered’ detail, 23307 with ‘capacity’ detail

Again, across all 12 months of 2019, 2243 additional capacity tags were added to bicycle parking. (approx. 531/quarter)

In the Q3 quarterly project period, 1686 additional capacity tags were added. (approx. 1554/quarter), nearly 300% of 2019’s rate.

The same comparison using the ‘covered’ tag detail shows a nearly 200% increase of activity of the 2019 rate.

Note: bicycle_parking can - and often is - mapped as an area, and is not included in the above figures.

TL;DR the Q3 Quarterly Project increased the rate that bicycle infrastructure data was being added, improved and refined in OSM.

Thank you for your efforts!

Gareth