[Talk-GB] Multi-lingual tagging in Wales

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Fri Oct 16 13:28:11 UTC 2020

On 16/10/2020 14:08, Gruff Owen wrote:
> With that in mind, and admittedly polemicising the debate a little. If
> we accept the premise that the native language of Wales is Welsh and
> that OSM is a community mapping project where we have an opportunity to
> respect native communities in a way that past colonial mapmakers didn't.
> Could we take this as an opportunity to prioritise authentic Welsh place
> names where that's possible? I understand that there will be objections
> to this, but I'm not sure we can disregard it completely as an option?

My understanding of how it works is that it is up to the local
communities to ensure that road signs, etc., in the local area, reflect
the community preferences, and OSM will reflect whatever the signage
says.  This is even more important in areas where people are shelling
each other over such issues.  Using what is on the ground is the only
way that OSM can avoid taking sides.

There is nothing to stop a Welsh language supporter running a map tile
server that uses name:cy, in preference to name, where it exists.