[Talk-GB] How closely do we map lamp posts?

Lester Caine lester at lsces.uk
Wed Sep 2 21:37:05 UTC 2020

On 02/09/2020 19:00, Dave F via Talk-GB wrote:
> I don't know the area. but they look like the existing posts to me. Has
> the cycle path been realigned around them to provide better vision
> splays/ stopping room to motorists?
>
> https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.7730673,-1.2396435,3a,56.4y,188.18h,85.12t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sCSZk4LPVkVJecufviv4kzw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
>
> I believe it's something to do with building regs. Existing posts have
> to be one of the last items to be decommissioned, usually by newly
> installed ones. Similar happened on one of the London CS ways, where
> everyone got their knickers in a twist over it.

The fact that a neatly finished cycleway surface now has to be dug up so
that the electric supply can be moved to a new location and the lamp
pole moved is just another example of the complete waste of money many
of these 'improvements' result in? Actually another question is just why
the kerb to the footpath and the cycleway had to be moved at all? It no
longer lines up with the next section anyway.

--
Lester Caine - G8HFL