[Talk-GB] How closely do we map lamp posts?

Robert Skedgell rob at hubris.org.uk
Thu Sep 3 11:13:49 UTC 2020

On 02/09/2020 22:37, Lester Caine wrote:
> On 02/09/2020 19:00, Dave F via Talk-GB wrote:
>> I don't know the area. but they look like the existing posts to me.
>> Has the cycle path been realigned around them to provide better vision
>> splays/ stopping room to motorists?
>>
>> https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.7730673,-1.2396435,3a,56.4y,188.18h,85.12t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1sCSZk4LPVkVJecufviv4kzw!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
>>
>> I believe it's something to do with building regs. Existing posts have
>> to be one of the last items to be decommissioned, usually by newly
>> installed ones. Similar happened on one of the London CS ways, where
>> everyone got their knickers in a twist over it.
>
> The fact that a neatly finished cycleway surface now has to be dug up so
> that the electric supply can be moved to a new location and the lamp
> pole moved is just another example of the complete waste of money many
> of these 'improvements' result in? Actually another question is just why
> the kerb to the footpath and the cycleway had to be moved at all? It no
> longer lines up with the next section anyway.

I see this fairly often. Usually the local council who are responsible
for the highway lay the new cycle lane, but cannot move the lamp posts
as UK Power Networks(?) have to deal with them and the associated cabling.

In Greater London we also have bus stops "left" on cycle tracks at new
bus stop bypasses, until Transport for London's contractors can move them.