[Talk-GB] Tagging modal filters and school streets

Stephen Colebourne scolebourne at joda.org
Mon Sep 21 17:20:13 UTC 2020

Given we have hundreds of existing and new modal filters* and school
streets**, I think we could do with having a *high level* tag for them
that captures the concept.

Currently, these are hard to find as they can be represented in many
ways. eg. for modal filters:
- highway=cycleway
- highwat=footway
- highway=service/residential with motor_vehicle=no
- plus potential associated barrier=xxx

School streets are no more than a motor_vehicle:conditional=no @ (xxx)
which again loses the semantic meaning.

What I'd like is a new tag that captures the high level concept. It
would be a bit like traffic_calming, but I don't think that adding
more values to that is appropriate. Any new value would go on the way
that is no longer open. These are generally verifiable on the ground,
even for filters that were added in the 1970s.

Unfortunately, I don't have a great name. "traffic_restrictions" is
taken as is "traffic_control". My best suggestion is
"traffic_intervention=modal_filter"/"school_street", as they are
essentially interventions by local government to better manage the
street space.

Any thoughts?
Stephen

* a "modal filter" is a place where the road is closed, or made one
way for the purposes of controlling traffic, such as to stop rat
running. It is commonly linked to Low Traffic Neighbourhoods (LTNs)
but they have been around for 50 years, and are generally easy to
spot.

** a "school street" is a street that is only accessible by residents
at school drop-off and pick-up time