[Talk-GB] Using UPRNs to find flats?

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Thu Apr 1 12:00:23 UTC 2021

On 01/04/2021 12:44, Steven Hirschorn wrote:

> the addresses. The trial run I did showed that some addresses use "A/B"
> to distinguish the flats, others used "Ground Floor/First Floor" and

That sounds more like maisonettes than flats.

Most flats, except in small conversions, are numbered.  Round me, even
maisonettes are numbered, e.g. there are 12 buildings, each with two
maisonettes on each side, and the individual maisonettes are numbered
from 1 to 48, within the name of the Court, representing the whole
complex.  Also there are purpose built flats which were built at the end
of a cul de sac, and are numbered as part of the overall street
numbering, rather than relative to the blocks of flats.

> Incidentally, do local authorities not have any responsibility for
> keeping a list of addresses in their area for the purposes of issuing
> Council Tax demands, which they could open? Do they delegate this task
> to Royal Mail?

Councils maintain and allocate addresses, except for the postcode.  The
primary coordination for this is through the national gazetteer, which
is what owns the UPRNs.