[Talk-GB] Tagging community centres and polling locations for mayor of London election

Mark Goodge mark at good-stuff.co.uk
Fri Apr 2 12:08:54 UTC 2021

On 01/04/2021 21:43, David Woolley wrote:

> One of my local polling stations is a portakabin that gets put up, in
> the carriageway, of a residential road, about a week before the
> election.  More generally, I'm not convinced that they are treated
> differently from other booking of community centres, schools, etc, in
> terms of the formal contracts.

It is a bit different. Any facility which is publicly funded (including,
but not limited to, schools) is obliged to allow the use of that
facility as a polling place at no charge to the electoral authority (The
Local Elections (Principal Areas) (England and Wales) Rules 2006
Schedule 2, section 20). So the use of such locations is a different
kind of agreement to that of a purely commercial contract to rent a
location in other places, such as church halls and pubs.

Mark